Thursday, February 2, 2012

Slow Living Month by Month

Over at slowlivingessentials, I read about a fabulous idea which I've decided to attempt myself. It is about taking stock at the end of every month this year of some achievements in different areas. I've decided to join in. So here goes:

January 2012

Nourish: Have enjoyed much home-made baking with the girls on school holidays. Made a lovely lemon cake. The best recipe was my bruscetta though which we made from tomatoes and basil from our own garden (check out my last post). I also discovered a great recipe for /www.taste.com.au/recipes/20155/roasted+capsicum+and+spinach+fritters. We made these and they were very yummy and I'm going to put them in the girl's lunch boxes for school!

Prepare:  I've collected a variety of shopping bags to use when grocery shopping.

Reduce: We did a big "chuck" of  things we no longer need or use. We filled bags which went to Salvos, and went to the tip where we sorted our stuff into recycling and not. I also bought a desk from the green shop (at the tip), to be re-used as my potting table (see above). I love it!

Green: I've been using eucalyptus oil in the kitchen and mixed it with my Green spray and wipe to help disinfect and make the kitchen smell nice.


Grow: Well, we had a lot of spinach which we ate. We are still harvesting the chives and shallots. We also grew tomatoes and I've planted seeds of pumpkin, leeks and rocket. I've also planted chocolate mint and basil.
Create: I finally finished my Madli shawl and have embarked on a new project of a triangular shawl and some more socks. I also have been learning to spin wool.

Discover:  I've really enjoyed reading "Less is More" by Cecile Andres & Wanda Urbanska. Fabulous book with different essays on how to live a more simple life. I also read "A Knitter's Home Companion" by Michelle Edwards. This is a beautiful book, I borrowed it from the library but think I will have to buy it.

Enhance:  I made a contact with the local library's librarian and she is keen to start a knitting group in the library once a week this year. I offered to help run it! I really hope this goes ahead.

Enjoy: I have enjoyed being at home with my girls and husband during the summer holiday. I particularly enjoyed a trip to Sydney to visit the "Harry Potter Exhibition" which the girls loved and I saw an exhibition on lace there which was just beautiful!

Well it's as easy as that! If you want to join in or  find out more, go to /slowlivingessentials.blogspot.com.au.



This is my first triangular shawl. It is going pretty well. I'm enjoying the pattern. Happy knitting!

12 comments:

  1. Hi Faeryfay, such fun that you're joining in on this! Loving the look of your bruschetta and would that be an Ashford Traditional wheel I spied a few posts down? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine, yes it is an Ashford Traditional. I'm just a beginner, but just love the wheel! I love your blog and your great ideas!:-)

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful initiative. I really love it. I might do this in my own journal and perhaps join in at some point online. I love your delightful little blog and am now following - looking forward to reading more! Please come say hi at Just For Daisy! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I have passed on an award to you. Hugs xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of the knitting group at the library. Hope it goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I really hope it happens! There is even a cafe in our library, so it should be lovely fun!:-)

      Delete
  5. I love the idea of using an old desk as a potting bench. I'll keep that in mind.

    I also like the sound of "Less is More". I'm off to see if it's in my library. Thanks. T

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a new potting bench too - right outside my back door for easy access. Well done for all your good works

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've nominated you for a Liebster Award.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!